Hi I’m @sdd (Scott Dawson)
It’s Social Media, Not Selling Media!
Let’s be honest, there’s enough noise on social media that you don’t need to follow another person that fills your stream with spam. I do tweet about what I do, but I also like to talk about more than just work. In fact most of my Tweets are @’replies and you won’t find me blasting just mortgage rates. If you’re like me you are looking for engagement. My goal is to provide conversation and high-value content (not just mine) to my followers. I believe people do business with and refer business to, those they know, like and trust. I hope through getting to know each other more on Social Media you’ll reach out to me as that trusted professional when the need arises.
Things I Enjoy:
- Social Media- I’m a big fan of Twitter but I’m also getting more active on Google+ a lot more now and I love Google Hangouts. I’m not really a fan of Facebook and I’ve found I’ve been posting over there less and less. I do have a business page but tend to update my blog more often than post anything over there.
- Technology – I’m kind of a nerd when it comes to technology. I don’t always need the latest and greatest but enjoy finding ways to use technology in my business to make it more enjoyable and efficient. I’m a pretty die hard Apple fan and use a Macbook Air as my day to day computer however I just switched from the iPhone to the Samsung Galaxy.
- Wine – I enjoy a good glass of red wine. My favorites are Zinfandel, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon. If you follow me on Twitter you will see the odd #WineTime hashtag hit my stream at 5 o’clock. I’m also open to suggestions of new wines to try so if you taste something good send me a Tweet with a picture of the label so I can check it out.
- Golf – I’m addicted to golf! I took it up 3 years ago and was hooked from the first day. I usually golf with my brother but have met some great people through Twitter that are golfers as well. If you’re a golfer too send me a Tweet and we can try to arrange a game together.
- Knitting – Seriously! Most people think I’m joking when I tell them this. My aunt taught me to knit earlier this year and I’ve taken it up as a new hobby. We all know work can be busy sometimes and I’ve discovered it’s a great way to escape the computer, emails, texts and phone calls and it helps take my mind of the stress of work and relax. It also goes good with a glass of wine (see above)
Why Did I Choose the Twitter Name @sdd?
People ask me that quite a bit. When I first signed up for Twitter I couldn’t get my name “Scott Dawson” so I tried just using my 3 initials and it was available. I later discovered it’s handy to have a shorter user name with Twitters 140 character limit. The down side is whenever I tell people what my Twitter name is it sounds a lot like “STD”. Nevertheless, I’ve kept it.
Connect With Me
If you haven’t already, you can follow me on Twitter by hitting the button below:
If you’re in Vancouver and want to take the conversation above 140 characters over a cup of coffee. Feel free to contact me anytime.